You are encouraged to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) via the web at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov. This is the official FAFSA website.
- Each student and at least one parent should apply for a PIN (personal identification number) http://pin.ed.gov prior to filing the FAFSA.
- Central College’s FAFSA school code is 001850.
- Processing time for the web FAFSA takes about 3 weeks.
- The Department of Education will notify you that your application has been processed and will provide you with a Student Aid Report (SAR).
- Iowa students need to file the FAFSA by July 1 to be eligible for Iowa Tuition Grant. Note that your form must be received at the processor (not simply mailed) by this date.
- You should not pay to file the FAFSA. It is a free service.
- Do not use any website to file the FAFSA other than the official site listed above. All other sites are typically "for profit" sites and you could be charged a fee.
- Central College can assist you in filing the FAFSA. Please email Donna Newendorp or call 641-628-5187 for assistance. Also visit "Seven Easy Steps to the FAFSA" for additional tips.
Other helpful tips:
- More on the PIN - Each student and at least one parent should apply for a Department of Education PIN http://pin.ed.govto electronically sign a FAFSA or make electronic corrections. The parent may use his/her PIN to electronically sign the FAFSA for more than one student in the family, but each student must have his/her own PIN. You should apply for your PIN in advance of completing the FAFSA. If a parent already has a Department of Education PIN, you may continue to use that PIN. If you forget your PIN, you may reapply for a new PIN. If you supply an e-mail address when applying for the PIN, you should receive your PIN electronically within 3 working days.
- Read and follow the FAFSA instructions carefully.
- Do not skip questions unless specifically instructed to do so. If the answer to a question is zero, answer with "0". Report whole dollar amounts, no cents.
- “You and your” refers to the student, not the parent.
- Please make sure that the social security number you list and the spelling of the student and parent(s) name exactly match that listed on the social security card. The information you list will be matched against a database at the Social Security Administration. If the name and SSN listed do not match exactly it will delay your receipt of financial aid.
- Funding for many programs is limited. Make sure you know and meet all necessary deadlines. Be sure to complete the entire form as instructed. If you do not supply all required information, your application may be rejected, and you may miss the deadline.
- Keep copies of federal tax returns for the student and parent for verification purposes, as well as a copy of the completed FAFSA.
- Dependent students and one parent, or stepparent, must electronically sign the FAFSA application.
- Your application must be dated after January 1, any applications received prior to January 1 will be returned unprocessed.
- Do not send copies of tax returns, guardianship papers, divorce decrees, etc. to the processor. Additional information, if applicable, should be mailed directly to the Financial Aid Office at Central College, 812 University Pella, IA 50219.