You are encouraged to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) via the web at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov.
Apply for your PIN
Each student and at least one parent should apply for a PIN (personal identification number) http://pin.ed.gov prior to filing the FAFSA.
Complete the FAFSA form
Go to http://www.fafsa.ed.gov and complete the FAFSA. Central College’s FAFSA school code is 001850.
The FAFSA is a FREE service. You should not pay to complete the form.
Online processing time for the FAFSA takes 2-3 business days. The Department of Education will notify you that your application has been processed and will provide you with a Student Aid Report (SAR).
Iowa Tuition Grant
Students who are Iowa residents need to file the FAFSA by July 1 to be eligible for Iowa Tuition Grant. Note that your form must be received at the processor (not simply mailed) by this date.
Other helpful tips:
- More on the PIN - Each student and at least one parent should apply for a Department of Education PIN http://pin.ed.gov to electronically sign a FAFSA or make electronic corrections. The parent may use his/her PIN to electronically sign the FAFSA for more than one student in the family, but each student must have his/her own PIN. You should apply for your PIN in advance of completing the FAFSA. If a parent already has a Department of Education PIN, you may continue to use that PIN. If you forget your PIN, you may reapply for a new PIN. If you supply an e-mail address when applying for the PIN, you should receive your PIN electronically within 3 working days.
- Read and follow the FAFSA instructions carefully.
- Do not skip questions unless specifically instructed to do so. If the answer to a question is zero, answer with "0". Report whole dollar amounts, no cents.
- “You and your” refers to the student, not the parent.
- Please make sure that the social security number you list and the spelling of the student and parent(s) name exactly match that listed on the social security card. The information you list will be matched against a database at the Social Security Administration. If the name and SSN listed do not match exactly it will delay your receipt of financial aid.
- Funding for many programs is limited. Make sure you know and meet all necessary deadlines. Be sure to complete the entire form as instructed. If you do not supply all required information, your application may be rejected, and you may miss the deadline.
- Dependent students and one parent, or stepparent, must electronically sign the FAFSA application.