The ISDTA Dance Team Competition took place on Thursday and Friday, December 5th and 6th at the Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, IA. The Central College dance team competed in the Division III NCAA college division against other NCAA schools including Wartburg, Coe College, BV and Simpson.
The team ended up winning 1st place in all three categories including Pom, Jazz and Hip-Hop. This is an all-time first for the dance team! The ISDTA dance team competition is one of the biggest competitions in the Midwest with over 5,000 dancers (including HS and College dance teams) competing for a State Title.
The dance team is now preparing to compete in the NDA Nationals competition April 9th-13th in Daytona Beach, FL. This competition is also another first for the dance team. The team will be competing in the Open Hip-Hop and Team Dance categories at Nationals.
Lexi Hanna, Head Coach
• How often do you practice and for how long?
The team will practices four times a week for 2 hours.
• What are the expectations for being on this team?
These are all required:
- Attendance at all practices
- Workout program outside of practice time
- Attendance at all football and numerous basketball games
- Attendance at assigned or requested appearances
- Participation at all competitive events
• How may women are on the team?
The team consists of 14-18 dancers
• Are practices mandatory?
All practices are mandatory. Being on the team is a full-time commitment.
• Where do you perform?
We perform at all home football games. We also perform during halftime at selected home basketball games.
• Where do you compete?
- Iowa State Drill Team Competition in December
- Tommie Invitational in St. Paul, Minn.
- NDA Nationals
• Do you accept video tryouts?
We would prefer to see all potential team members in person but if the tryout dates conflict with prior commitments, we do allow a video tryout. Contact coach Lexi Hanna at firstname.lastname@example.org for all the necessary elements to be included in the video as well as a deadline.
• What do I need to wear to tryouts?
We ask that everyone bring their own dance shoes and comfortable dance attire. We strongly suggest a sports bra/top and dance pants. We also expect everyone to look game-day ready. (make-up, hair done nicely, etc.)
• What elements are required at tryouts?
Everyone will be taught a dance consisting of the following elements: pom, jazz, and hip-hop. Technical skills must be performed and will either be done in a choreographed sequence or individually.
Technical elements required:
-Fouette sequence consisting of 4+ turns and a double pirouette
- Switch Leap-right and left
- Center Leap
- Straight Leap-right and left
-Triple or Quad Pirouette
- Splits and/or Stretches
• Are incoming freshmen allowed to tryout?
• What do I need to bring to tryouts?
You will need to bring your insurance information and records from a recent physical. If you do not show proof of insurance and a current physical form, you will not be allowed to tryout.
• Are there summer commitments?
Summer commitments include special appearances, fundraisers and monthly workshops to run.
• How much does it cost to be on the team?
The cost to be on the team can run around $500. Most is due soon after tryouts.
• Are there scholarships available?
We do not have scholarships available to squad members; however, we have numerous types of fundraising projects to help pay for certain dance team expenses.
•What does Central College require academically in order to be a part of the team?
Team members must complete at least 12 credits each semester and maintain a cumulative grade-point average of 2.00 or above.
Are you competitive or performance-based team?
We are both. We perform at games, but we also complete on the state level.