Whether you're moving from a two-year or four-year college, we know the transition to a new college can be tricky. Here’s some helpful information to help get you started.

Campus Visit Information

Campus visits are encouraged! We are happy to arrange for you to take a tour of campus and meet with an admission counselor, registrar (to help determine how credits will transfer), faculty member, coach, financial aid office and others that will help ease your transition to Central. Our office hours are Monday through Friday from 8 to 5 and Saturday from 9 to noon during the academic year. Schedule a visit!

Application procedure

We suggest you start the application process at least three months prior to your intended enrollment date. That assures you the best opportunity to arrange for housing, apply for financial aid and attend orientation and registration. Make sure you do the following:

Apply online or send your paper application to us at the address below.

Request that all postsecondary institutions you have attended send your academic transcripts to the Office of Admission, regardless of whether you believe you received credit at each. 

Request that your final high school transcript and ACT and/or SAT scores be sent to the Central College Office of Admission. ACT/SAT scores only needed if you have taken less than 26 s.h. of college credit. 

Send your $25 application fee along with your paper application. We will waive the application fee if:

Send your paper application, transcripts, test scores and application fee (if needed) to:

Office of Admission
Central College
812 University Street
Pella, Iowa 50219

Additional Information

Credit transfer and course equivalencies

Making sure the credits you have already earned will transfer toward a degree at Central is likely a key concern. Courses in which you have earned a C (2.0) or better will be considered for transfer credit. A maximum of 60 semester hours of transfer credit (including a maximum of 24 semester hours from AP, IB, PSEO, and dual enrollment) may be applied toward completion of a Central College degree. Course equivalencies from numerous Iowa community colleges are available here. A transfer credit evaluation may be requested after you have been admitted to Central College. Please email Melissa Anderson transfer student admission counselor.

Read our transfer credit policy.

Scholarships and Financial Aid

Central College offers a generous scholarship program for transfer students. All admitted students will be considered for scholarship (no separate application necessary). Additionally, students filing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid -fafsa.ed.gov) will be considered for all need-based financial assistance. Central’s FAFSA code is 001850. We recommend you file the FAFSA no later than June 1.

Approximately 98 percent of our students receive some type of financial assistance, including academic scholarships, need-based grants, work study, and student loans. In addition we offer a convenient monthly payment program or a SAFE account plan to help manage your college expenses.


Central College is an intentionally residential community. We are committed to on-campus living as a vital component of our integrated learning environment. As a transfer student at Central, you have several options for living arrangements. There are two co-ed halls, one women's hall, one men's hall, an apartment style complex and our townhouse facilities. Be assured that we work with each student to match up roommates with similar interests and at similar points in their college career.

We require all full-time students to live in college-owned housing unless married, of nontraditional age (23 years or older), a veteran or have a dependent child(ren). Off-campus living is limited and permitted for upper class students only when there is a shortage of rooms on-campus. Transfer students must get approval to live off-campus.

Please be aware that financial aid will be adjusted for off-campus students.

Next Steps

Accepted students will receive an email from the registrar’s office outlining how your courses will transfer to Central.  The email includes: a course-by-course transfer credit explanation, program evaluations showing how your courses apply toward the core of general education requirements and your potential major(s), and an overall summary of the number of credits transferred and pending.

Complete the necessary math and foreign language placement exams.  If you have taken any Spanish, French, or German language courses either while in high school or college, you should complete the language placement exam.  If you are not transferring in any math courses, you should take the math placement exam.  You can access these placement exams by going to goCentral and logging in with the username and password that the admissions office emailed you. You need to complete these placement exams before you pay your enrollment deposit because once you pay your deposit, your goCentral account is deactivated.

Pay the $200 enrollment deposit to the admission office.

Your username and password will be mailed to you via U.S. Postal mail shortly after your enrollment deposit is received.  You will need a username and password to access Central’s portal, myCentral.  In myCentral you’ll find your Central email, WebAdvisor, announcements, student forms, information about departments, offices, and activities, and much more.

The registrar’s office will send you an email with your advisor’s name and contact information.  You should then schedule a time to come to campus and meet with your advisor so the two of you can plan your schedule.  Be sure to bring your username and password to your meeting so you can login and register for classes while you are with your advisor.  Central students register for classes online using WebAdvisor.


You may reach any of the staff below by calling our toll-free number at 1-877-462-3687. Here's who to ask for:

Melissa Anderson

Admission Representative
Office: Central Hall
Phone: 641-628-7607
Email: andersonmb@central.edu

Donna Newendorp

Associate Director of Financial Aid
Office: Central Hall
Phone: 641-628-5187
Email: newendorpd@central.edu