Campus Life

Students with Disabilities

Central College has an institutional commitment to provide equal educational opportunities for qualified students with disabilities in accordance with state and federal laws and regulations, including the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

The Services of Students with Disabilities Office is responsible for determining, coordinating and providing appropriate accommodations and auxiliary aids and services for qualified students with disabilities. The Disability Office is located in Hoffman Hall ground floor, east wing. Nancy Kroese, Coordinator of Disability Services, may be reached by calling 

Services Offered

Coordination of classroom accommodations:

Requesting Academic Accommodations:

  1. Submit current documentation from an appropriately licensed professional (within the past three years) describing the disability to the Director of Disability Services. The documentation should state the accommodations that the students will need at the postsecondary level. The student should then meet with the Director of Disability Services to review/discuss the student’s strengths and weaknesses and requested accommodations.
  2. Together the student and Director of Disability Services will complete an accommodation request form that will be discussed with the student’s academic advisor and each of the student’s professors. The request form will state the recommended accommodations. This form will need to be completed at the beginning of each semester. After the student discusses the requested accommodations with each professor, the student returns the form to the Disability Services Office and it is filed in the student’s file.
  3. Some accommodation requests may dictate that the student, Director of Disability Services and the course professor collaborate to identify an accommodation that will meet the needs of both the student and professor.
  4. If a student encounters problems with college personnel concerning accommodations, the student should bring the concerns to the attention of the Director of Disability Services. If the Director is unable to resolve the concerns, the Disability Committee consisting of the Vice President of Academic Affairs, the Assistant Director of Academic Affairs, and the Disability Coordinator will meet to discuss the situation.

Additional academic services: