Ministry (pre-professional) major
Central College continues its emphasis on education and spiritual formation in the Reformed Church tradition in particular and in the Christian heritage in general. We seek to prepare students for a life of service to God and to the community, whether this service be in Iowa, across the nation or around the world. The ministerial (pre-professional program) provides a period of reflection and discernment for students who are considering a vocation in ministry, whether it be ordained ministry, lay ministry or in missions. At Central College, we also have numerous courses in international politics, world religions and foreign languages, all of which provide an excellent background for students preparing for mission work.
As both ministry and missions require long-term planning, we encourage students to make their pre-ministerial interests known early so Reverends Brummel and Kleven can serve as mentors for their programs.
- Joel Brummel, M. Div., Central College chaplain and adviser; regular church supply minister to the RCA, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Terence Kleven, Ph. D., Professor of Religion and director of the Christian ministries emphasis in the religion and philosophy department; part-time rector of St. James' Episcopal Church, Oskaloosa, Iowa, email@example.com
Graduates have gone on to become pastors, missionaries or teachers, but also have gone into such fields as law enforcement and political philosophy, including:
- Seminary student at Denver Theological Seminary, Denver, Colo.
- Legal researcher for a judge after completion of a law degree, Iowa City, Iowa
- PhD Doctoral candidate in literature and religion at Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
- Graduate of Western Theological Seminary, Holland, Mich.
- Minister of Forest Grove Reformed Church, Hudsonville, Mich.
- Missionary to Madagascar, African Inland Missions
Students also have an opportunity to do ministry internships in churches and church-related organizations. Past internships include:
- Third Reformed Church, ministry to high school girls, Pella, Iowa
- Pella Regional Health Center, chaplaincy, Pella, Iowa
- Ruth Harbor Mission, Des Moines, Iowa
- Camp Wesley Woods, Indianola, Iowa
- Second Reformed Church, ministry in Sunday school, Pella, Iowa
- St. James’ Episcopal Church, ministry to high school students, Oskaloosa, Iowa
- Peace Lutheran Church, ministry to the youth, Pella, Iowa
- Emanuel Reformed Church, ministry to youth, Paramount, Calif.
- First Baptist Church, ministry to youth, Pella, Iowa
- Wycliffe Bible Translators
Learn more about internships at Central.
Students interested in pre-ministry can major in any subject area, though religion is recommended. Additional coursework in the following area is recommended:
- Communication studies
- Foreign languages
- Not-for-profit courses
- Religion minor
Central College is one of the most beautiful college campuses you'll find. A perfect mix of old and new, our buildings reflect our history and our future. Our state-of-the-art facilities include:
- Vermeer Science Center — $20-million renovation and addition completed fall 2003 earned Iowa’s first LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) rating, a silver medal, from the U.S. Green Building Council.
- New apartment-style residence hall opened fall 2003, with new wing completed in 2005, earned Central’s second LEED rating, a gold medal.
- New education and psychology building top open fall 2009.
- Weller Center for Business and International Studies.
- Central Market, Iowa’s most original dining hall with
unique European market place design.
- Geisler Library with 230,000 volumes and worldwide
- Café@Geisler offers espresso, coffee, snacks and
Central offers many groups for students interested in pre-ministry including:
- Campus ministry
- Campus ministry leadership teams
- Social Action Organization (ACTION) — designed to promote social service around Pella and the surrounding areas
o Worship planning
o Catholic Campus Ministries
- Habitat for Humanity
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes
- InterVarsity Christian Fellowship
Students are encouraged to study abroad with Central College to enhance their development as global citizens. Academic opportunities and internship programs also are available in Chicago, Washington, D.C., and New York City. Learn more about Central’s study abroad programs.
Winter, spring and summer mission trips to Mexico, Malawi, Kentucky, Texas, Arizona, Georgia and the Gulf Coast offer opportunities to make a difference, deepen your faith and experience other cultures.