Founded in 2005, the mission of SUSTAIN is to help build campus-wide community by offering opportunities for people from different areas of the College, especially students, to come together to share ideas, raise awareness, educate ourselves, and coordinate with each other by working on projects and making recommendations for policies and practices to make Central College and the wider world more environmentally sustainable, socially and economically just.
- All-Campus Green Lunches and Sustainable Food on Campus
- Student Leadership Development (PowerShift Conference)
- Campus Energy Conservation and Reduction Social Justice and Human Rights Projects
- SUSTAIN-Pella Community Schools "Green Team" Partnership
Environmental Studies Seminar Projects
- Campus Recycling
- Thunder Creek Watershed Volunteer Water Quality Monitor
- Campus Fair Trade (Sweatshop-Free Clothing at the Bookstore)
What you can do?
Can't make it to any of the SUSTAIN meetings? Try these simple tips to get started!
- If you are gone for an extended amount of time, take an extra minute before you leave and unplug all of your electronic devices. Vampire energy (energy that is consumed even when the appliance is turned off) costs U.S. consumers $3 billion a year!
- Recycle! Central College supplies each room with a recycling bag so you can collect your cans and bottles and carry it to one of the convenient recycling centers or the Big Red Recycling Trailer.
- When leaving your room, don't forget to turn off the lights. It may seem small, but those hours add up. If it will help, make a simple sign and attach it to the door.
- Save paper! Most printers on campus can print double sided.
- Ride your bike to the Central Market. Save the gas for those longer distances.
- Keep your fridge stocked! An empty fridge takes more energy to stay cold.
Have questions? Want to be added to the SUSTAIN email listing?
Contact Dr. Jim Zaffiro 641-628-5123 (SUSTAIN Coordinator)