Responsibilities of the Center for Community-Based Learning:
- Provide information to students and faculty about service-learning and the ‘x’ component including talking with students to help them decide how to best fulfill the x requirement if they are not studying abroad.
- Develop and sustain partnerships with the agencies with which Central College partners to provide service-learning opportunities for students.
- Provide workshops and other training for faculty who seek assistance with service-learning.
- Make class presentations to discuss any aspect of the component at the request of faculty.
- Coordinate student travel including reserving college vehicles and arranging carpools in order to make efficient use of budgeted travel funds.
- Help supervising faculty find appropriate readings when needed.
- Visit students at their sites.
- Work with students to complete proposal forms for experiential modules.
- Plan the PLACES symposium, participation in which can serve as part of student’s final product.
- Develop new sites at the request of faculty.
- Keep a central list of current student placements each semester.
- Conduct program evaluation.
Responsibilities of the supervising faculty:
- Review the proposal form that has been drafted by the student and the Director of Community-Based Learning and modify it if desired.
- Ensure the academic integrity of the module by making sure the readings, reflection exercises and final product are all academically sound.
- Sign students’ proposal forms before the end of the drop-add period.
- Evaluate the assignments for the student’s ongoing reflection exercises and final products.
- Meet with the student periodically to engage in reflection.
- Assign the final grade for the student. (For modules grades are P or NR; for courses the standard grading system prevails.)
Responsibilities of the student:
- Find a faculty member who is willing to supervise the experience.
- Meet with the Director of Community-Based Learning who will provide site information and will help complete the proposal form.
- Meet with the supervising faculty for a review of the proposal.
- Complete the required hours of direct contact.
- Complete all readings, journals, presentations and other assignments.
- Notify agencies when unable to make a scheduled visit.
- Keep documentation of hours completed.
Responsibilities of the community partner:
- Communicate with students about the expectations of the experience.
- Provide on-site orientation.
- Provide on-site supervision of students.
- Verify student documentation of hours completed.
- Provide feedback about the program.
- Contact the Director of Community-Based Learning if problems arise that cannot be worked out directly with the student.
Questions? Please contact Cheri Doane, 641-628-5332 or e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Note: Some of the roles and responsibilities described here may apply only to CRCL283 modules whereas others could apply to any service-learning circumstances (i.e., ‘x’ course, ‘x’ option within a course).